When the AC stops functioning, the first thing that comes to your mind is calling an AC maintenance specialist. But before calling an HVAC expert, you should ask the following questions and do an AC repair.
Dallas AC Repair: Ask These 6 Questions Before AC Repair
- What will be the Cost of the AC Repair?
- First and foremost, you will have to ask how much the AC repair will cost. If the repair cost is half of the cost of a brand-new air conditioner, you should ditch the repair and replace it with a new one. However, if the cooling unit needs minor repairs, you can go for it. Usually, when you need to replace the compressor or evaporator coil, you will have to spend big bucks. But when these AC units require repairs, you will have to keep in mind that your old buddy is probably in its last days. So it is not worth spending a large sum of money on repairing a dyeing AC unit. Instead, you should replace your old cooling unit with a new one.
- If you need minor AC repair every 2-3 months, it indicates that there are bigger problems in the cooling unit. In this scenario, you must replace the old cooling unit with a new one.
- Is the Air Conditioner Well Maintained?
- AC maintenance plays a key role in AC performance. If you have maintained your air conditioner well, such as replacing the air filter, keeping the drain line clean, and cleaning the air ducts, your AC unit will remain in good condition and won’t require frequent repairs. But if you do the opposite, you will have to regularly spend money on AC repairs, and it won’t improve the AC performance. So before the AC repair, ask yourself, are you maintaining the AC well? If the answer is no, you must promise yourself that you will do all the required AC maintenance, and then you should consider Dallas AC repair service.
- What will be the Duration of Your Stay in Your Current House?
- Before AC repair, you must consider the duration of your stay in your current home. If you don’t have any plan to move from your current house any time soon and your AC requires minor repairs, you should go for the AC repair. Again, if you live in a rented house and are planning to move from the house soon and need minor AC repairs, I suggest you do the necessary repair work. However, if you’re planning to sell your house and need AC repair, it is advised to replace the air conditioner. When you install a new cooling unit in your home, the value of the property gets increased. This way, you can increase the selling value and ROI on the property.
- Is Your Air Conditioner Energy-Efficient?
- If your AC has a SEER2 rating of less than 14.3 and needs repair, you should consider replacing the AC system.
- When your air conditioner has a lower SEER2 rating, it will consume more electricity. Besides, after a few years, the SEER rating starts to drop. So, 10 years ago, if the SEER was 13, now it has significantly dropped now. This means your air conditioning system consumes more electricity and gives less output. Also, all Dallas residents are required to install AC with SEER2 14.3 and above.
- That is why replacing the lower energy-efficient AC with a higher energy-efficient cooling unit is a good idea. This way, you will get maximum comfort at a minimum cost.
- If you purchased an air conditioner a few years ago and still don’t know about the SEER rating, you shouldn’t worry much about it. Because it is likely that it has a SEER2 of more than 14.3.
- Is Your AC Using R22 or R410A Refrigerant?
- Before AC repair, you will have to consider what type of refrigerant your air conditioner is using. If your air conditioning unit is using R22 refrigerant and needs AC repair, you should consider replacing the AC instead of repairing it.
- According to the USEIA, the use of R22 in the air conditioner is now illegal. Besides, when you use R22 in your air conditioner, it harms the ozone layer. Moreover, if you need to refill the AC refrigerant, you won’t get the R22 refrigerant easily, and even if you do, you will have to pay more money than its original price.
- On the flip side, if you have an air conditioner that uses R410A and needs AC repair, you should consider repairing the cooling unit.
- Do You Get the Desired Comfort from Your Air Conditioner?
- Ask yourself whether or not you are getting the desired cooling from the AC. Is your AC treating enough air to cool your space? If you are satisfied with the AC, you can go ahead with the AC repair. However, if you are unsatisfied and your AC isn’t performing well, you shouldn’t repair the AC. Instead, you should consider purchasing a new HVAC system.
- Modern HVAC units are reliable, energy-efficient, and offer optimum performance. While installing a new HVAC unit, you will have to ensure that you’re installing the right-sized air conditioner and installing it correctly. For this, you can call an HVAC expert.
Before you decide to repair your cooling unit, you must consider the age, efficiency, frequency of the AC repair, and refrigerant type. Also, for AC repair, always select a reputable HVAC company.