There are many ways to renovate your kitchen on a budget if the room is looking a bit tired and dull. If you have some basic DIY skills and some spare time then have a go at one or more of the following mini projects – you might just fall in love with your kitchen again.
- Assembled kitchen cabinets are made from a standard size so for a total re-vamp fit some new hardwood doors and drawer fronts – it will feel like a new room.
- Paint the walls a bright, fresh colour that you might never have thought to use before. How about a deep raspberry pink or a zesty lime green?
- Bring the outside in and plant an herb garden on your window sill. It will look attractive, smell great and will even improve your home cooking.
- Put up some artwork. Let the kids go wild with their craft kits and frame the best efforts. Mix up the ‘art’ with some family photos for a lovely homely effect.
- Change the knobs and knockers. Put on some fancy new handles and spruce up the room to look like the best of luxury kitchens.
- Get all crafty and make new curtains and cushion covers. Go for a fabric to contrast with that great new paint colour you’ve just applied!
- Paint wooden kitchen furniture or even your hardwood flooring. If you have a butchers trolley or welsh dresser then treat it to a new look with a lick of paint and display your flatware in a new light.
- Apply some tile transfers or vinyl wall graphics. To embellish a plain and simple room add some pre-designed ornamentation. It is quick and easy and will give you an instant boost.
- Change the lighting. Make it a brighter place to be and feel reinvigorated about the space. You will be able to see what you are chopping up better too!
- Get cooking. Invite a crowd of good friends around and feed them a home cooked meal, if it's the first time you're entertaining in your kitchen you an show them a whole new side of it and even brag about what you've done and how you've decorated it yourself. You don't have to prepare cordon bleu, just any meal that is made with love and washed down with wine!