A licensed HVAC contractor can help you evaluate the condition of your HVAC system. Involving an experienced HVAC contractor at the planning stage will make a big difference to your home renovation project's success.
At the end of this article, you'll be able to identify the different reasons why consulting an HVAC contractor is important before doing home renovations.
1. Get an Estimate for HVAC System Upgrade
Before you plan and start your renovation project, it's crucial to get an estimate for upgrading your current HVAC system. An HVAC professional will check if your existing HVAC system needs to be reconfigured or if any new ducts must be added.
Hiring a local HVAC contractor in Ithaca New York is a good idea if you live near the area. A local contractor can offer immediate service when problems arise.
2. Safeguard Your HVAC System During the Home Renovation Process
Home renovations involve cutting drywall, tile, wood, and the like. These operations can produce a lot of debris and dust which can accumulate in the air filters and vents. Working parts can clog and malfunction. So, it's important to get expert advice on how to safeguard your HVAC system during a home renovation by consulting an HVAC professional.
HVAC contractors are usually called after a home renovation, and then homeowners realize that dust and debris have compromised the functioning of their HVAC units. Such a problem can be a major disaster, causing a hefty amount of money for repairs and replacement of parts.
3. Help Upgrade Your Furnace and Air Conditioner
Many homeowners upgrade electrical services during a home renovation, such as changing and upgrading electrical wires and fixtures. It's also the best time to upgrade your furnace and air conditioner, most especially if you're adding square footage. Your existing units may not be enough to heat and cool your additional space. Also, you may upgrade your HVAC unit into a more energy-efficient option. In that way, you can save more money on monthly heating and cooling costs.
4. Reconfigure or Add Ductwork
Changing the layout or adding square footage in your home may require reconfiguring or adding ductwork. It's best to make these changes during the home renovation to save time, money, and effort in the long run. During certain home renovation stages, drywall is not yet installed, so walls are more accessible and open. This is the perfect time to move around or add ducts.
5. Save Time, Money, and Effort
Upgrading your HVAC system after home renovation can be expensive. It’ll entail cutting or drilling the walls to run ductwork, install a new air conditioner, and other HVAC fixtures. That's why the best time to do it is before or during a home renovation.
How to Choose an HVAC Contractor
Now you know the benefits of consulting an HVAC contractor before doing home renovations. The next thing you need to know is how to choose the right HVAC contractor.
Here's how to select a good HVAC professional contractor:
- Validate Credentials: HVAC companies have impressive websites, highlighting their products and services. You'll find physical address and contact info on the website. Some companies display the testimonials of happy customers. However, it’ll help if you also validate their credentials to ensure you're dealing with a good company. This can be done by getting references, checking with referrals, and checking consumer complaint records with the Better Business Bureau and concerned local regulatory agencies.
- Get a Detailed Estimate: Upon careful assessment, you can ask for a written estimate of the project so that you can allocate a portion of your home renovation project budget to your HVAC system upgrade.
- Interview: The initial interview is the perfect time to assess an HVAC technician's expertise and soft skills. Of course, you want to choose one who is experienced in repair, parts replacement, and new HVAC system installation for your health and safety and to avoid future problems.
Hiring an HVAC contractor during a home renovation is a smart move. The contractor will help you upgrade your existing HVAC system and advise you on how to protect the equipment during the renovation. It’ll save you a lot of time, money, and effort because walls are open during renovation for installing ductwork and upgrading your system. So, plan properly to ensure that your renovation project is a success.