When renovating a house, never leave the patio out of the picture. Always make sure that you go for a total makeover for your outdoor space, too.
Although it’s a lot of work, they can be beneficial to you. Designing a patio, a deck or a porch will extend your space for guests if you’re holding a large party or a family gathering for the holidays. This way, they won’t feel cramped up in your living room or the kitchen.
So if you’ve got time and some money to spare, here’s how you can design your outdoor space like a pro.
- Choose a theme for the space
- It doesn’t matter whether you have a large deck or a small porch, it’s the theme that will bring out the character to your space. Not its size. That’s why whenever you’re designing a space, make sure to decide on a theme first.
- Working with a theme in mind will also help you cut down your choices when it’s time to buy furniture pieces. Just make sure to adhere to that theme even when you’re shopping for the smallest accessories for your patio.
- If you’re having a hard time figuring out what theme will be best for your space, just take some inspiration from magazines and the internet. Look at a bunch of photos and see what will perfectly match your style or your space.
- Pick the perfect colour palette
- The right colours for your space will not only beautify it but will also help give off the vibe that you want to go for.
- If you want to make it look more elegant, you can choose darker colours. Darker shades will work perfectly if you're building a bar or a lounge area on your patio.
- On the other hand, if you want to dedicate your outdoor space for family gatherings, white, oak, and other light colours are the easiest choice. These shades will exude a sense of warmth to your space, which is just perfect for family events.
- Keep in mind that the colours of your walls, furniture, and accent pieces should work well together.
- Get the right measurements of the space
- Now that you’ve created your overall design, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and measure everything up. Getting the right measurements will help you decide which size of sofas, tables, and other furniture pieces you will need.
- After measuring the floor area, you can now search for designer outdoor furniture online. Make sure to check for the right sizes that will fit into your space.
- Also, remember that you’re not only going to squeeze the outdoor furniture into your patio. You’d also want to fit in as many people as you can. So don’t let the furniture take up all the space. Instead, leave room for people to move around.
- Always buy furniture that will last
- When you’ve already smoothed out your design and it’s time to buy all the outdoor furniture that you need, make sure to be picky. By picky, we mean test everything out first and make sure that they feel durable enough.
- Also, make sure that the patio furniture pieces are made by a trusted brand to make sure that they’ll last. Durable pieces are the things you’ll need in a patio setup because they’ll be more exposed to outside elements like sun, rain, dust, and wind.
- If you opt for cheap products with a cheap build, we doubt that they’ll last for years. So if budget is not the problem for you, buy the more expensive yet more durable ones.