You may also want to consider whether it’s necessary to hire a professional. Replacing a few shingles or painting the roof is an example of something that you can likely handle by yourself.
But these are just a few of the main factors that’ll influence roof renovations. Let’s take a look at them closely as we consider some more factors to keep in mind.
1. The Cost of Renovation
When renovating your roof, the cost is naturally the first question that’ll come to your mind. The cost will depend on several factors, such as the size of the roof, the steepness or pitch of the roof, and the type of materials that you’re going to use.
The cost will also depend on whether you would want to add extra items on the roof, such as solar panels. Basically, how small or large the renovation project will influence the overall cost.
2. Do You Need To Hire A Professional?
If the project is small and you’re up to the task, you can do it yourself. Keep in mind, however, that hiring a professional is essential for larger projects or when you don’t have any technical background. If you decide to opt for the latter option, you can contact a professional roofing company to find out more about residential roofing. They can help install new gutters, repair damaged roofs, as well as install different types of roofs, such as asphalt shingles.
If you do hire a professional, consider these few things:
- The professional is licensed and also has insurance
- The materials they suggest for renovation have warranty
- They should offer a written quote
3. When To Do Roof Renovations
Another factor that’ll influence renovations is when to actually renovate the roof. There are several factors that you may want to keep in mind, such as:
- Whether the roof is too old: If this is the case, it might present special problems, such as fading of the roof paint or wearing out of some shingles. If it’s only a few patches that need work, then you can probably do this yourself, especially if you have some technical background
- Water leaks: You may also want to replace and renovate the roof if there are water leaks. The leaking water may get into the interior walls, causing damage to the house. If it’s the whole roof that needs renovating, then consider hiring the services of a professional.
- Plan to sell the house: Another reason for renovating the roof is if you’re planning on selling the house. Repainting or giving the house a new roof will definitely add value to the house, allowing you to fetch a good price for it.
Keep in mind that when you’re renovating the roof yourself, you must observe safety measures and ensure that you have helmet, elbow and knee guards, as well as protective goggles.
4. Choosing the Roofing Materials
There are many different types of roofing options available in the market, such as metal roofing, asphalt shingles, wooden shingles, or even concrete and clay tiles.
Each of these has its own properties and functionalities. Clay and concrete tiles, for instance, are heavy and ideal for a sturdy roof structure. They’re also ideal for areas that receive plenty of heavy rains or strong winds.
Another factor to keep in mind when choosing a roofing material is their durability as well as their aesthetics. This is especially important when you’re planning to sell the house.
5. Preparing for Roof Renovations
Now that you’ve chosen the right type of materials, you also want to make sure that you do the proper preparations before renovation can begin. For one, you can take out all items that are in the attic. This will help keep them safe in case something falls through.
Secondly, you’ll also need to clear all the branches that are close to the house. This helps reduce the possibility of an accident as both you or the professional have free range on the roof to work.
Renovating the roof requires careful planning and evaluation – from choosing the best time to picking the right materials. Keep in mind that hiring the services of a professional is usually the best course of action when planning to renovate the roof.