Problem: Nail pops.
Cause: Fastener pops.
Some builders suggest that screws with a coarse thread have a greater resistance to popping.
- Apply hand or mechanical pressure when fastening to ensure that the gypsum board is making contact with the framing.
- Tack board in place, then return to complete nailing or screwing.
- Use screwing or double nailing to draw the gypsum board tighter to the stud as shown in Figure 60.
Figure 60 - Double Nailing Drywall To Wall Studs
- Stagger fasteners to reduce the diagonal distances between nails or screws.
- If a nail or screw breaks the surface of the drywall paper, it loses its hold on the gypsum board. Drive a second fastener close to the first.