Problem: Noisy appliances (dishwasher, washing machine).
Cause: Load noise generation, poor location, poor insulation
Solutions: Reduce transmission to other rooms.
- Install doors on the kitchen and the laundry room to reduce noise reaching other rooms.
- Locate rooms normally containing noisy appliances as far as possible from noise-sensitive areas.
- Put acoustically absorptive lining on the inner faces of any enclosure around the appliance.
- Do not connect an appliance to walls or cupboards; their surfaces act as sounding boards and radiate more noise.
- Support any large appliance, such as a washing machine, resiliently on a heavy, rigid surface like a concrete floor, if possible.
- Use suitable resilient mounting to reduce vibration transfer into the structure. Incorrectly chosen mounting can amplify vibration; follow recommendations from the manufacturer or consult an expert. Resilient mounting is much less effective on flexible floors, such as plywood on wood joists.
Improve the installation