Question: I am building an addition on the back of my home with a walk out deck. What are the considerations when working with cantilever joists?
Answer: You have to be concerned about floor system vibration due to floor joist movement and deformation. Having cantilever joists can create a lot of vibration, not only in the cantilever portion of the room but throughout the addition and depending on how the addition I tied into the rest of the joist system, you could create vibration throughout the entire home.
There are different good practice construction methods if using solid lumber versus I-Joists.
Additional information on cantilever construction
- Converting A Small Log Outbuilding As A Part-Time Habitat
- Applying A textured Ceiling
- Installing A Ceiling Medallion
- Damaged Baseboard
- Miter Joint Separate
- Quantity Of Plies In Plywood?
- Jacking A Damaged Beam
- Repairing Potholes In An Asphalt Driveway
- Using Cantilevers
- Crown Molding Installation
- Redoing Floor On Front Porch
- Replacing Cracked Bricks
- Foundation Wall Cracks
- Adding A Basement Underneath A House
- Jacking Up A Floor
- Constructing Rooms In A Clear Span Building
- Floor Bounce
- Removing Skim Coat From Basement Walls
- Pier & Beam Foundation Problem