Question: I need to put some screws into a wallpaper covered plaster wall. Anything I should know before just doing it? Nothing weight bearing. Holding up some vertical boards with L brackets/corner braces.
Answer: You have to use anchors of some kind. If there is truly no weight you can use the plastic anchors that expand as you drive the screw into them. Drill a hole first, remember that plaster is basically concrete so use a carbide tipped drill bit. If there is some weight you should consider using the toggle style that grip from behind by expanding when a bolt is threaded into them.
Additional information on wall anchors.
- Cracks In Ceiling Keep Reappearing
- Hairline Cracks In Plaster Walls
- Plaster Debris
- Hanging Items On Plaster Walls
- Plaster Wall Patch
- Tearing Down Plaster Walls
- Drywall Over Stucco Ceiling
- Removing a Popcorn Texture